Date of birth: July 05, 1957.
Office data: Research Department, Danish Meteorological Institute
Lyngbyvej 100, DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Phone: +45 50876306; Fax: +45 39157460; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Career / Employment and Positions
11/11-present Adjoint professor in Integrated dynamic/chemical modelling at the Niels Bohr Institute of the University of Copenhagen (http://www.nbi.ku.dk/Besoeg_os/niels_bohr_lectures/other_lectures/alexander_baklanov )
01/07-07/12 Vice-director of Danish Strategic Research Center for Energy, Environment and Health (CEEH)
08/98-present Senior scientist / project leader at Danish Meteorological Institute, Research Department.
01/94-07/98 Visiting scholar, project scientist at Atmospheric Physics group of Swedish Defence Research Establishment (FOA) and University of Umeå, Umeå, Sweden.
06/95-03/96 Research scholar at International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Laxenburg, Austria.
01/89-01/94 Head of Department of Mathematical Modeling of the Environment at Institute of Northern Environmental Problems, Russian Academy of Sciences, Apatity, Russia.
01/90-01/94 Director of Environmental Information Center Econord.
08/79-01/89 PhD-student, young scientist, scientist, senior scientist at Novosibirsk State University, Computing Centre of Siberian Division, Kola Science Center, USSR Academy of Sciences, Russia.
Education and Grades
2012 (June) Valid Member (Academician) of International Eurasian Academy of Sciences (IEAS)
2011 (November) Honour Professor in Integrated dynamic/chemical modelling of the University of Copenhagen
2008 (November) Professor in Meteorology (The Highest Attestation Commission, Ministry of Education and Science, Moscow, Russia)
1998 (October) Dr. Scient. in Physics & Mathematics (Meteorology and Climatology): “Mathematical modelling of local air pollution processes” (Russian State Hydrometeorological University, St.-Petersburg)
1996 (Septem.) Senior research fellow in Atmosphere and Hydrosphere Physics (Russian Academy of Science, Moscow)
1988 (October) Senior research fellow in Mathematical Methods in Environmental Sciences (Kola Science Center of USSR Academy of Sciences, Apatity, Russia)
1983 (March) PhD. in Physics & Mathematics (Math. Methods in Geophysics/Atmospheric Science): “Development and implementation of mathematical models of microclimate and atmospheric pollution over complex orography” (Novosibirsk Computing Center, USSR Academy of Sciences)
1979 (July) MSc. in Physics (Yaroslavl State University/Novosibirsk State University, USSR)
Research interests: Integrated modeling for meteorological and chemical weather prediction; Megacities, air quality and climate interaction; Boundary layer meteorological processes; Microscale / urban meteorology and climatology; Atmospheric long-range transport and aerosol dynamics modelling; Environmental impact and risk assessments; Indoor climate, ventilation and air pollution modelling.
30 years of experience in developing and using numerical atmospheric dynamics and pollution models at different scales: from local- and meso- to regional and global scales.
During last years under A. Baklanov leadership novel and improved integrated modeling tools for prediction of air pollution in megacities were developed, impacts of megacities and large air-pollution hot-spots on local, regional and global air quality were assessed, and feedbacks among megacity air quality, local and regional climate, and global climate change were quantified (within MEGAPOLI). This included both basic and applied research, and bridged spatial and temporal scales connecting local emissions, air quality and weather with global atmospheric chemistry and climate.
Initiator and European coordinator of a new actively developing scientific direction of online integrated modelling of atmospheric chemical and physical processes with two-way interactions and feedbacks, considering the atmosphere as one joint interacting system.
Participations in International Projects (since 2000)
- 4FP EC projects: ‘SFINCS: Surface Fluxes in Climate System’ (1998-2001),‘RTMOD: real-time model inter-comparisons’ (1998-2001), NorFA/NARP project ArcticRisk: ‘Atmospheric Transport Pathways, Vulnerability and Possible Accidental Consequences from Nuclear Risk Sites in European Arctic’ (2001-2003), COST-715: WG2 ‘Mixing heights and surface energy budgets’ (1998-2004),
- 5FP EC projects: ‘ENSEMBLE: Methods to Reconcile Disparate National Forecasts of Medium and Long Range Dispersion’ (2000-2003), ‘ELCID: Evaluation of Climatic Impact of Dimethyl Sulphide’ (2000-2003), ‘FUMAPEX: Integrated Systems for Forecasting Urban Meteorology, Air Pollution and Population Exposure’ (2002-2005),
- 6FP EC project: ‘EnviroRISKS: Man-induced Environmental Risks: Monitoring, Management and Remediation of Man-made Changes in Siberia’ (2005-2008),
- 7FP EC project ‘MEGAPOLI: Megacities: Emissions, urban, regional and Global Atmospheric POLlution and climate effects, and Integrated tools for assessment and mitigation’ (2008-2011), ‘MACC: Monitoring Atmospheric Composition and Climate’ (2009-2011), ‘PEGASOS: Pan-European Gas-AeroSol-climate interaction Study’ (2010-2014), ‘PBL-PMES: Atmospheric Planetary Boundary Layers: Physics, Modelling and Role in Earth System’ (2008-2013), ‘TRANSPHORM: Transport related Air Pollution and Health impacts’ (2010-2014).
- Head of Department of Mathematical Modeling of the Environment at Institute of Northern Environmental Problems, Russian Academy of Sciences, Apatity, Russia (1988-1994).
- Director of Environmental Information Center Econord, Apatity, Russia (1988-1994).
- PI or project leader for 18 national and bilateral (with USA, UK, Norway, Sweden, Finland) research projects of USSR/Russian Academy of Science.
- PI of international projects ‘Origins of Arctic Haze’, KOLANET, ‘Arctic Risk’.
- Project leader/co-ordinator of EC FP RTD projects: FP5 FUMAPEX (2002-2005), FP6 EnviroRISKS (2005-2008), FP7 MEGAPOLI (2008-2011).
- Leader / national representative at COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) programs: Action 715 ‘Urban Meteorology’ (1998-2004), Action 728 ‘Meso-Meteorology’ (2004-2009, vice-chairman), Action 732 ‘Micro-Meteorology’ (2005-2009), Action ES0602 ‘Chemical weather’ (2008-2011), Action ES1004 ‘EuMetChem’ (2011-2015, chairman).
- Vice-director of Danish Strategic Research Center for Energy, Environment and Health (CEEH) (2007-2012).
- Leader of the special ECMWF project ‘EnviroChemistry on ECMWF’ (2012-2014).
- Chairman of the COST Action ES1004 ’European Framework for Online Integrated Air Quality and Meteorology Modelling (EuMetChem)’ (2011-2015), which includes organizations from 23 European countries, USA, Russia, Canada, as well as WMO, ECMWF, EC JRC, etc. (http://eumetchem.info).
Teaching and Supervision
- Visiting professor at the University of Nottingham, UK (2007),
- Visiting professor of the University of Hertfordshire, UK (2008-2016),
- Professor of the Russian State Hydrometeorological University (RSHU), St.-Petersburg (since 2008).
- Adjoint professor in Integrated dynamic/chemical modelling at the University of Copenhagen.
- Have taught at several courses on integrated meteorology-chemistry modeling, urban meteorology, atmospheric physics, numerical and environment modeling, aerosol dynamics at the RSHU, Universities of Novosibirsk, Umeå, Copenhagen, etc.
- Supervisor/co-supervisor of 12 PhD students (9 are successfully defended) and many BS or MSc students since 1988.
- Leader of Copenhagen university team in two ЕС TEMPUS educational projects: “COMBAT-METEO” and “QUALIMET”.
- Organizer and director of non-profit Environmental Information Centre ECONORD, engaged in research activity, environmental education of young people and schoolchildren (1988-1996).
- Author of some tutorials. A new Textbook «Integrated Modelling of Meteorological and Chemical Transport Processes / Impact of Chemical Weather on Numerical Weather Prediction and Climate Modelling» (for university and PhD students) is under preparation for publication. This work is a part of educational activities in the scope of the NetFAM network (2005-2009) and EU project TEMPUS 26005 (2007-2012).
- Organizer and co-director of several summer schools for Integrated Meteorology-chemistry modelling (2008, 2011, 2014).
Supervisor or co-supervisor of 9 successfully defended PhD students:
1. Morozov S.V. Institute of Northern Environmental Problems, Russian Academy of Sciences, 1992.
2. Amosov P.V. Kola Science Centre, Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), 1992.
3. Rigina O.Yu. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Umeå, 1998.
4. Alexander Mahura. DMI / Russian State Hydrometeorological University, 2002.
5. Roman Nuterman. DMI / Tomsk State University, 2008. Medal of RAS, EMS Kipp&Zonen award.
6. Alexander Tridvornov. Siberian Federal University, Russia, 2008.
7. Ulrik Korsholm, DMI / Copenhagen University, 2009. EMS Kipp&Zonen award.
8. Iratxe Gonzales, DMI / Bilbao University, Spain, 2013. Defended with honour degree.
9. Brian Sørensen, DMI / Copenhagen University, 2013.
Organization of Conferences and Schools
- Organizer and chairman of international scientific conferences and young scientists schools «Integrated Modelling of Meteorological and Chemical Transport Processes / Impact of Chemical Weather on Numerical Weather Prediction and Climate Modelling» (2008 in St-Petersburg, 2011 in Odessa, and planing in 2014).
- Chairman of international symposium «Megacities: Emissions, urban, regional and global atmospheric pollution and climate effects, and Integrated tools for assessment and mitigation», September 2011, Paris, France.
- Co-director and organizer of NATO Advanced Research Workshops: ‘Atmospheric Boundary Layers: Modelling and Applications for Environmental Security’, Croatia (2006).
- Organizer and chairman of international scientific seminar COST-NetFAM ‘Integrated Meso-Meteorological and Chemical Transport Modelling’, Copenhagen (2007).
- Co-director and organizer of WMO Conference ‘Mesoscale modelling for air pollution applications - achievements and challenges’, Geneva (2010).
- Chairman of two annual sessions of European Geophysical Union (EGU): ‘Integrated physical and chemical weather modelling with two-way interactions’ и ’Megacities: Air Quality and Climate Impacts from Local to Global Scales’, Vienna, since 2008.
- Co-chair of session ‘Environmental Meteorology’ on Annual Meetings of European Meteorological Society (EMS), since 2005.
- Member of program and organizational committees, sessions chair on more than 30 international conferences and workshops.
Participations in International Bodies
- Member of WMO Scientific Advisory Group for GURME: GAW Urban Research Meteorology and Environment (since 2008);
- Member of International Commission for Polar Meteorology (since 2003);
- Member of the Eurasian Academy of Sciences (since 2012);
- Member of proposal evaluation panels of EC DG Research FPs, National Science Foundation (NSF), US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), etc.
− Member of EC DG Research and DG Environment Expert Group and co-author of European Union Air Policy Review.
Editorial and Scientific Per-review Activities
- Editor in chief of Urban Climate journal, published by Elsevier (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/urban-climate/).
- Associated Editor of Environmental Modelling and Assessment journal, published by Springer.
- Member of Editorial Board in Atmospheric Research, Meteorology and Open Atmospheric Science journals.
- Acted as invited editor and referee at: Journal of Theoretical and Applied Climatology, Boundary Layer Meteorology, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Atmospheric Environment, Journal of Environmental Monitoring, Journal of Glaciology, Water, Air and Soil Pollution, Boreal Environment Research, Journal of Environmental Management, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, Geofizika.
- Evaluator of Annual Reports of the European Environmental Agency.
- Initiator and co-editor in chief of science-popular ecological journal ECONORD, published in cooperation with Nordic countries on Russian, Scandinavian and English languages (1991-2002).
More than 400 scientific publications, including 14 books and about 200 peer-reviewed journal papers (List of the publications is available on web-site: http://www.baklanov.dk/Alexander.html). The h-index is 22, i10-index is 72, in the beginning of 2013 there were 2106 citations of A.Baklanov’s publications. The summary Impact-factor of journal papers, published only during 2008-2013, is equal to 119.720. In latest years the citations of his works quickly grew and reached 240/332 in 2012. Note, that ISI Web of Knowledge doesn’t index some widely cited (according to Google scholar) publications (e.g. books and monographs). Both the ISI Web of Knowledge and Google scholar do not account Baklanov's publications in Russian.
10 most relevant publications during the last 5 years:
Alapaty, K., R. Mathur, J. Pleim, Ch. Hogrefe, S. T. Rao, V. Ramaswamy, S. Galmarini, M. Schaap, R. Vautard, P. Makar, A. Baklanov, G. Kallos, B. Vogel, R. Sokhi (2011) New Directions: Understanding Interactions of Air Quality and Climate Change at Regional Scales. Atmospheric Environment. 49: 419–421.
Baklanov A., 2010: Chemical Weather Forecasting: A New Concept of Integrated Modelling. Advances in Science and Research, 4: 23-27.
Baklanov, A. and B. Grisogono (Eds.), 2007: Atmospheric Boundary Layers: Nature, Theory and Application to Environmental Modelling and Security. Springer, 248 p., ISBN: 978-0-387-74318-9
Baklanov A., U. Korsholm, A. Mahura, C. Petersen, A. Gross, 2008: ENVIRO-HIRLAM: on-line coupled modelling of urban meteorology and air pollution. Advances in Science and Research, 2, 41-46.
Baklanov A, J.H. Sørensen, A. Mahura, 2007: Methodology for Probabilistic Atmospheric Studies using Long-Term Dispersion Modelling. Environ. Model. Assess., DOI 10.1007/s10666-007-9124-4
Baklanov A., O. Hänninen, L. H. Slørdal, J. Kukkonen, N. Bjergene, B. Fay, S. Finardi, S. C. Hoe, M. Jantunen, A. Karppinen, A. Rasmussen, A. Skouloudis, R. S. Sokhi, J. H. Sørensen, and V. Ødegaard. Integrated Systems for Forecasting Urban Meteorology, Air Pollution and Population Exposure. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 7: 855–874
Baklanov, A., P. Mestayer, A. Clappier, S. Zilitinkevich, S. Joffre, A. Mahura, N.W. Nielsen, 2008: Towards improving the simulation of meteorological fields in urban areas through updated/advanced surface fluxes description. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 8, 523-543.
Baklanov, A., S. Grimmond, A. Mahura, M. Athanassiadou, 2009: Meteorological and Air Quality Models for Urban Areas. Springer, 2009, 184 p.
Baklanov, A., A. Mahura, R. Sokhi, 2010: Integrated systems of meso-meteorological and chemical transport models, Springer, 190 p., ISBN 978-3-642-13979-6
Baklanov A., B. Grisogono, R. Bornstein, L. Mahrt, S. Zilitinkevich, P. Taylor, S.E. Larsen, M.W. Rotach, H. J. S. Fernando (2011): The Nature, Theory, and Modeling of Atmospheric Planetary Boundary Layers. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 92, 123–128. doi: 10.1175/2010BAMS2797.1
Grell, G. and A. Baklanov (2011): Integrated Modeling for Forecasting Weather and Air Quality: A Call for Fully Coupled Approaches. Atmospheric Environment, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.01.017.
Penenko V., A.Baklanov, E.Tsvetora, A.Mahura, 2011: Direct and Inverse Problems in a Variational Concept of Environmental Modelling. Pure and and Applied GEophysics, Vol.169, No 3/4, DOI 10.1007/s00024-011-0380-5.
Zilitinkevich SS, Hunt JCR, Grachev AA, Esau IN, Lalas DP, Akylas E, Tombrou M, Fairall CW, Fernando HJS, Baklanov A, Joffre SM (2006) The influence of large convective eddies on the surface layer turbulence. Quart J Roy Meteorol Soc 132: 1423-1456.
Zilitinkevich, S.S., I. Mammarella, A.A. Baklanov, and S.M. Joffre, 2008: The effect of stratification on the roughness length and displacement height. Boundary-Layer Meteorology. 129: 179-190.